Monday, February 4, 2013

facebook-by poetrings

I like poetry.  In fact, I like poetry so much that lately, I've even taken to unloading rounds of it into other people's heads.  I've found facebook to be a great medium for this task.   I rewrite William Carlos Williams' poems (I choose him because his poetry is concise and maleable) on fb walls with a hidden meaning for the owner of the wall. They read it. Our friends read it. Their friends read it. And I feel like I've done something akin to a drive-by shooting, except with a positive effect. A facebook-by poetring? Okay. We'll go with that. 
I dabbled in poetry when I was fifteen on instinct, and delved from seventeen to twenty-four.  I still read it, textbooks of it, for kicks.  It's a slow process, though.  The reading of poetry, I mean.  You don't just skim or even read only once any poem.  There's too much going on that is prone to being completely missed.  My analytical mind likes to pick them to carcass.  My creativity likes to phoenix a new one on the remains.  I write poetry because "I love you" and "The weather is so nice today" don't really express what I mean. Whether I simplify these ideas or complicate them through my convoluted metaphors, concrete imagery or abstract wording, I write creatively because I can't say it right otherwise. I believe that I would stop writing if I were ever able to say anything and have it mean what I really meant. Even my best poems fall short. I write because I have to keep trying to communicate, with those whom I care to communicate, the composition of my insides. My poems are successful when the idea I'm trying to put across is the same idea that's being picked up, even though there will always be something lost in translation. I want you to know who I am and what I feel, how I think and what I've come to know. If my poetry can't tell you, then nothing will.
After I posted my first blog entry, my little brother asked me what the poem posted there is about.  He didn't know what the word 'sternutation' meant, for starters.  (You have to understand that my little brother is on the cusp of earning his doctorate in Math.  He's scary smart.  I'm actually kinda flattered that he even read that blog entry)  I told him that all poems are either about love or death, and that Sneezing is about both.  Of course, that's a very generalized (and, as such, not quite truthful) statement.  But it is always true that there is something of the human condition found in every poem.  And what two enigmas embody better the human condition than love and death?  Sure, the human condition can be written about in any form of literature, or even portrayed in music or movies.  But nothing quite has the same impact as a poem.  Like the compactness of a fist delivering a heavier blow than the open-handed slap, the brevity and packed in meaning of a poem alters its recipient far more than a drawn out explanation.  That being said, please consider this my giving you a black-eye:

Meniscus

My brother studies the curve of the universe
in the fourth dimension, nearsightedly.

(No, no the world is flat. No, no
the world is round) He's getting
a doctorate. (Columbus sailed
the ocean blue in 1492) I study

human convexes: tears on cheeks, a
fingernail, and imagine my dreams as spherical.


 See what I mean?  I pretty much just told you, in eight short lines, everything I said in all the previous paragraphs combined.  Which was more powerful?  If you don't like poetry, you probably shouldn't continue to read my blog.  Just sayin'.     

No comments:

Post a Comment